Books which parallel Jane Austen books?
Posted by Barbara on April 16, 1998 at 17:23:58:
I'm thinking of adding something to my Literary companion page about books which have parallels in them to JA stories. I'm not referring to sequels, or spin-offs or continuations--or retellings, like Linda has at her page, but rather books in which there are elements of the story which could strongly be compared to JA's works, or in which Miss Austen herself is mentioned.
So far I have these:
- Bridget Jones's Diary--parallels to P&P and mentions JA
- The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope--parallels to S&S
- As I begin to read Cold Comfort Farm I am seeing a number of strong parallels to Emma, right from the opening line! And of course JA is mentioned.
Can anyone think of any others? I would like to do a short write-up of the ones I come up with and add it to my page. I can move this discussion to Ramble if it is more appropriate, or you could answer me by e-mail
- austen mary 20:00:45 4/17/98 (1)
- Excellent Women Margie 12:11:29 4/18/98 (0)
- Lions and Licorice (nfm) Cheryl 17:44:56 4/16/98 (2)
Posting followups to old messages is disabled; instead go to the main index and post a new message which mentions this one.