Liverpool , Lancashire.
Its situation is low, but healthy, pleasant and commodious, at the mouth of the Mersey. It is populous, and the most flourishing seaport in these parts. The inhabitants are universal merchants, and trade to almost all foreign countries. Ships of any burden may come up with their full lading and ride before the town, which is open and unfortified. In 1644 it was besieged by Prince Rupert and taken after a stout resistance. In 1699 a church was built by act of parliament and the town was made a distinct parish, separate from Walton, to which before this time, it had only a parochial chapel. The old church was an elegant Gothic structure. There are now many churches to which the corporation presents. Here are also many places of worship for dissenters of various denominations ; a blue coat hospital; a public infirmary; and an hospital for decayed seamen. The exchange is a handsome Corinthian edifice . The new buildings are handsome and the new street spacious. Some merchants have houses here, which, in Italy, would pass for palaces. There are several public docks , which will contain near a thousand ships with great safety. They are bounded by quays a mile and a half in length , and able to contain 20,000 tons of shipping. About 1360 the tower was the property of Sir Thomas Latham, who gave it, with other estates, to his daughter, who married Sir John Stanley who rebuilt and fortified it. It is governed by a corporation to whom belongs a large revenue. Fresh water is brought into the town by pipes, from springs four miles from the town. Its principal trade is to the coast of Guinea for slaves; and much wealth is obtained by this traffic. A traveller will find his time well employed in surveying the buildings and quays of this town. Here is also a good public library.
Inns : Talbot, Golden Lion, Crown.
Use the "Show me" link to locate Liverpool on the map. You may need to scroll down to see Liverpool highlighted.
© 2008 The Republic of Pemberley