Quick Index Board Index Home FAQ Site Map
|Gossip in P&P: ch.16, 18 + 19
Written by Line
(4/20/2010 9:44 a.m.)
Here we have Mr. Wickham, who should be a reliable source for the information he provides Elizabeth with, since he knows the people involved very well.
- First of all, he confirms the rumour about Darcy's income that circulated within 5 minutes of Darcy's arrival at the Meryton Assembly: "a clear ten thousand per annum".
- He says Darcy is a good brother.
- He says that Georgiana Darcy is very proud, just like her brother.
- He says there is a general rumour that Darcy will marry his cousin Anne de Bourgh.
- He confirms Elizabeth's suspicion that Lady Catherine de Bourgh is a conceited, arrogant woman, and that her money and position are the reason people think more highly of her than she deserves. (He says the same of Darcy.)
Let's see how many of these descriptions turn out to be true! ;-)
Groupread is maintained by Myretta with WebBBS 3.21.